As a lover of comfort food, one of my all-time favorites is the grilled cheese sandwich. There’s nothing better than biting into a crispy, buttery grilled cheese with melted cheese oozing out. However, making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich can be tricky. In this blog post, I’ll share everything you need to know to create the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, from the history of this classic comfort food to the best cheese options and creative add-ins.
The History of Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
The grilled cheese sandwich has been a staple in American cuisine for over 100 years. The first recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich appeared in a cookbook called “The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book” by Fannie Farmer in 1896. It was called a “Toasted Cheese Sandwich” and was made by putting cheese between two slices of bread and toasting it in a skillet.
During the Great Depression, the grilled cheese sandwich became even more popular. It was an affordable and filling meal that could be made with simple ingredients. In the 1950s, the invention of sliced bread and processed cheese made it even easier to make a grilled cheese sandwich at home.
Check: Recommended Baking Tools
Today, the grilled cheese sandwich is a beloved comfort food that is enjoyed by people of all ages. It’s a simple yet satisfying meal that can be customized with different types of bread, cheese, and add-ins.
To make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients:
- Bread: The bread you choose will make a big difference in the taste and texture of your grilled cheese. A good-quality bread that is sturdy enough to hold up to the filling is essential. Sourdough, French bread, and whole wheat bread are all great options.
- Cheese: The cheese is the star of the show in a grilled cheese sandwich. Choose a cheese that melts well, such as cheddar, American, or Swiss. You can also mix and match different types of cheese for a more complex flavor.
- Butter: Butter is essential for creating that crispy, golden-brown crust on the outside of the sandwich.
- Optional add-ins: While a classic grilled cheese sandwich is delicious on its own, you can also add in other ingredients to take it to the next level. Some popular add-ins include bacon, tomato, avocado, or even mac and cheese.
Types of Bread to Use for Grilled Cheese
As I mentioned earlier, the type of bread you choose will make a big difference in the taste and texture of your grilled cheese sandwich. Here are some of the best bread options for grilled cheese:
- Sourdough: Sourdough bread has a tangy flavor that pairs well with the rich cheese. It’s also sturdy enough to hold up to the filling without getting soggy.
- French bread: French bread has a crispy crust that adds a nice crunch to the sandwich. It’s also great for making grilled cheese sandwiches for a crowd since you can cut it into slices.
- Whole wheat bread: Whole wheat bread is a healthier option that still provides a sturdy base for the filling. It has a nutty flavor that pairs well with sharp cheese.
Cheese Options for Grilled Cheese
While cheddar, American, and Swiss are the most popular cheese options for grilled cheese, there are many other types of cheese you can use to create a unique and delicious sandwich:
- Pepper jack: Pepper jack cheese has a spicy kick that adds some heat to the sandwich.
- Brie: Brie cheese is creamy and buttery, making it a great choice for a more indulgent grilled cheese.
- Gouda: Gouda cheese has a smoky flavor that pairs well with bacon or other savory add-ins.
- Blue cheese: Blue cheese is bold and tangy, adding a unique flavor to the sandwich.
Tips for Cooking the Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Now that you have all the ingredients, it’s time to cook the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Here are some tips to ensure your sandwich turns out crispy, gooey, and delicious:
- Butter the bread, not the skillet: Instead of melting butter in the skillet, spread it directly on the bread. This will ensure that the bread gets evenly coated in butter and results in a crispier crust.
- Use low heat: Cooking the sandwich over low heat will allow the cheese to melt evenly without burning the bread.
- Cover the skillet: Covering the skillet with a lid or foil will help the cheese melt faster and more evenly.
- Press the sandwich down: Use a spatula or another heavy object to press down on the sandwich while it’s cooking. This will help the cheese melt and create a crispy crust.
Variations on the Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
While a classic grilled cheese sandwich is delicious on its own, there are many ways to put a twist on this classic comfort food:
- Caprese grilled cheese: Add tomato and fresh basil to your grilled cheese for a Caprese-inspired sandwich.
- Bacon and avocado grilled cheese: Add crispy bacon and creamy avocado to your sandwich for a delicious twist.
- Ham and cheese grilled cheese: Add sliced ham to your grilled cheese for a heartier sandwich.
- Pizza grilled cheese: Add tomato sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese to your grilled cheese for a pizza-inspired sandwich.
Creative Add-Ins for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Looking to take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level? Here are some creative add-ins to try:
- Caramelized onions: Add some sweetness to your sandwich with caramelized onions.
- Jalapenos: Add some heat to your sandwich with sliced jalapenos.
- Pesto: Spread pesto on the bread before adding the cheese for a delicious, herbaceous flavor.
- Apples: Add some sweetness and crunch to your sandwich with thinly sliced apples.
Pairing Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Soups and Salads
Grilled cheese sandwiches are often paired with tomato soup, but they can also be paired with other soups and salads:
- Tomato soup: Tomato soup and grilled cheese are a classic pairing for a reason. The sweet and tangy soup pairs perfectly with the rich, savory sandwich.
- Broccoli cheddar soup: Broccoli cheddar soup and grilled cheese are another delicious pairing. The creamy, cheesy soup complements the sandwich perfectly.
- Caesar salad: A Caesar salad pairs well with a grilled cheese sandwich for a light and refreshing meal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about grilled cheese sandwiches:
What is the best cheese for grilled cheese?
The best cheese for grilled cheese is one that melts well, such as cheddar, American, or Swiss. You can also mix and match different types of cheese for a more complex flavor.
You may like: How to Make the Ultimate Garlic Bread Spread
How do you make a grilled cheese sandwich without burning it?
To make a grilled cheese sandwich without burning it, use low heat and cover the skillet with a lid or foil to help the cheese melt faster and more evenly.
How do you make a grilled cheese sandwich crispy?
To make a grilled cheese sandwich crispy, butter the bread instead of the skillet and use a spatula or another heavy object to press down on the sandwich while it’s cooking.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
In conclusion, the grilled cheese sandwich is a classic comfort food that can be customized in many different ways. By choosing the right bread, cheese, and add-ins, you can create a delicious sandwich that satisfies any craving. Whether you prefer a classic grilled cheese or a more creative version, these tips and tricks will help you make the perfect sandwich every time.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and start cooking up a delicious grilled cheese sandwich today!