As a lover of all things sandwich, I have tried my fair share of fillings over the years. And while I enjoy a classic ham and cheese or turkey and avocado, there’s something special about the humble egg salad sandwich. Maybe it’s the creamy texture or the versatility of the filling, but I always find myself coming back to this classic sandwich. In this article, I’ll share with you my tips and tricks for making the perfect egg salad sandwich.
What is egg salad and why is it the perfect sandwich filling?
Egg salad is a simple mixture of hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and seasonings. It’s a classic sandwich filling that has been around for generations, and for good reason. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also incredibly versatile. You can add different herbs and spices to the mixture to suit your taste, or add in other ingredients like bacon, avocado, or pickles to give it a unique twist.
Check: Recommended Baking Tools
Another great thing about egg salad is that it’s a perfect meal prep option. You can make a big batch of egg salad at the beginning of the week and enjoy it throughout the week for lunch. It’s also a great option for picnics or potlucks since it’s easy to transport and doesn’t require any heating.
Ingredients for making egg salad
To make the perfect egg salad, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Optional: chopped herbs (like parsley or chives), diced pickles, crumbled bacon, or grated cheese
Step-by-step instructions for making egg salad
- Start by boiling your eggs. Place them in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the eggs are cooked, drain the hot water and place the eggs in a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process and make them easier to peel.
- Peel the eggs and chop them into small pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chopped eggs to the mayo mixture and stir until well combined.
- Taste the egg salad and adjust the seasoning as necessary. If you’d like to add any additional ingredients, like herbs or pickles, add them now.
- Cover the egg salad and refrigerate until ready to use.
Tips for making the perfect egg salad
- Use fresh eggs: Fresh eggs are easier to peel and will give you a better texture in your egg salad.
- Use full-fat mayonnaise: Lower-fat mayo can make your egg salad thinner and less creamy.
- Chill your egg salad: Letting your egg salad sit in the fridge for at least an hour before serving will help the flavors meld together and make it easier to spread on your bread.
- Don’t over-mix: Over-mixing your egg salad can make it gummy and unappetizing. Mix just until everything is combined.
Choosing the right bread for your egg salad sandwich
When it comes to bread for your egg salad sandwich, you have a few options. A classic white or wheat bread works well, as does a soft roll. If you want to add some texture, try using a croissant or a bagel. You can also toast your bread to give it a bit of crunch.
Creative variations on the classic egg salad sandwich
While a classic egg salad sandwich is delicious on its own, there are plenty of ways to give it a twist. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some bacon: Crumble some cooked bacon into your egg salad for a smoky, salty flavor.
- Go spicy: Add some diced jalapenos or hot sauce to your egg salad for a spicy kick.
- Add some crunch: Mix in some diced pickles or celery for a bit of crunch.
- Try different herbs: Add in some chopped chives, parsley, or dill for a fresh, herby flavor.
- Make it a wrap: Roll your egg salad up in a tortilla with some lettuce and tomato for a portable lunch option.
Serving suggestions and sides for your egg salad sandwich
Egg salad sandwiches are great on their own, but if you want to round out your meal, here are a few sides and serving suggestions:
- Chips or crackers: A handful of chips or some crackers are a great crunchy accompaniment to your sandwich.
- Soup: A bowl of soup, like tomato or chicken noodle, is a classic pairing with any sandwich.
- Salad: A simple green salad with some vinaigrette dressing is a great way to add some veggies to your meal.
Frequently asked questions
Can I make egg salad ahead of time?
Yes! Egg salad is a great meal prep option. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and enjoy it throughout the week for lunch.
How long will egg salad last in the fridge?
Egg salad will last for 3-5 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.
Can I freeze egg salad?
No, egg salad doesn’t freeze well.
You may like: The Ultimate Croque Madame Recipe
Egg salad is a classic sandwich filling that never goes out of style. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious and versatile lunch option that will keep you satisfied throughout the day. Whether you stick with a classic recipe or get creative with some add-ins and variations, egg salad is sure to become a staple in your sandwich rotation. So go ahead and elevate your sandwich game with a delicious egg salad sandwich!