As a lover of all things French cuisine, there’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of biting into a perfectly made Croque Madame. This delicious sandwich, traditionally made with ham, cheese, and béchamel sauce, is a staple in French cafés and bistros. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing with you the ultimate Croque Madame recipe that’s sure to satisfy your cravings. But first, let’s take a look at the history of this iconic sandwich.
The History of Croque Madame
Croque Madame is a variation of the popular French sandwich, Croque Monsieur. The first recorded appearance of Croque Monsieur was in a Parisian café in 1910. The sandwich quickly became popular in France and beyond, with variations appearing in other countries such as Italy and the United States.
The name “Croque Monsieur” translates to “crunchy mister” in English, a reference to the crispy texture of the sandwich. The addition of a fried egg on top of the sandwich resulted in the creation of Croque Madame, which is said to have been named after the hats worn by French women in the early 1900s.
Today, Croque Madame is a beloved brunch item and can be found on menus in cafés and restaurants all over the world.
Check: Recommended Baking Tools
To make the ultimate Croque Madame, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 4 slices of Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Perfect Croque Madame
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the melted butter, whisking continuously until the mixture turns a light brown color.
- Slowly add 1 cup of whole milk to the saucepan, whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Whisk the sauce until it thickens, then remove from heat.
- Toast 4 slices of sourdough bread in a toaster or under the broiler until lightly browned.
- Place the toast on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place a slice of ham on each piece of toast, followed by a slice of Gruyere cheese.
- Spoon the béchamel sauce over the cheese, making sure to cover the edges of the toast.
- Bake the sandwiches in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the sandwiches are baking, fry 4 eggs in a non-stick skillet until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place a fried egg on top of each one.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Serving and Enjoying Your Croque Madame
Croque Madame is a delicious and satisfying sandwich that’s perfect for brunch or lunch. Here are a few tips to help you serve and enjoy your Croque Madame:
You may like: Croissant French Toast
- Serve your Croque Madame immediately to ensure that the egg is still warm and runny.
- Pair your sandwich with a side salad or some fresh fruit for a well-rounded meal.
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. Look for sourdough bread that’s freshly baked, and use Gruyere cheese for its rich and nutty flavor.
- Experiment with different variations of the Croque Madame recipe. Add bacon or avocado for a twist on the classic sandwich.
Variations of the Croque Madame Recipe
While the traditional Croque Madame recipe is delicious on its own, there are many variations that you can try to mix things up. Here are a few ideas:
- Croque Madame Benedict: Use the Croque Madame as a base for Eggs Benedict by adding Hollandaise sauce and poached eggs on top.
- Croque Madame Grilled Cheese: Make a grilled cheese sandwich with sourdough bread, ham, Gruyere cheese, and béchamel sauce.
- Croque Madame Bagel: Swap out the bread for a toasted bagel and add cream cheese for a breakfast sandwich twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between Croque Madame and Croque Monsieur? Croque Monsieur is a sandwich made with ham, cheese, and bread, while Croque Madame is made with the same ingredients but with the addition of a fried egg on top.
- Do I need to use Gruyere cheese for my Croque Madame? While Gruyere cheese is traditional for Croque Madame, you can use any type of cheese that melts well. Cheddar, Swiss, or even mozzarella can be used as a substitute.
- Can I make Croque Madame ahead of time? While Croque Madame is best served immediately, you can prepare the béchamel sauce and toast the bread ahead of time. Assemble the sandwich and bake it just before serving.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Croque Madame is a classic French sandwich that’s perfect for satisfying your cravings. By following the steps in this recipe, you’ll be able to make the ultimate Croque Madame that’s sure to impress your friends and family. Whether you enjoy it for brunch or lunch, this sandwich is always a crowd-pleaser.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations. Bon appétit!